Boost your glow, with a little Inside/Out beauty advice from Claire Andréewitch04 December 2019
In 2006, Claire Andréewitch decided to come and live in Paris. At the time, she was passionate about fashion, but she soon realized – particularly during her pregnancy – that her real passion was for well-being through yoga and nutrition. Since then, she's been teaching Hatha yoga, Vinyasa yoga, pre- and post-natal yoga, and naturopathy in its many forms (stress management, meditation, relaxation). Today, Claire is the perfect embodiment of the Inside Out beauty movement in France, and has just brought out her first holistic lifestyle book, Révélez votre Glow (which means – although you've probably already worked it out – Reveal your Glow!). So what better person to give us some Inside Out beauty advice during Glow Week, to help you boost and optimize your glow all through winter?
Maximize your glow this winter
It's no secret: in winter, our body is really put to the test. Our immune defenses are weakened and the cold wreaks havoc on the skin's hydrolipidic film, leading to a reduction in sebum production. "Animals hibernate in winter to save energy, and we need to save energy too. It's the time of year when we get the least light, so we have to accept that our energy levels drop. Instead of using coconut oil, which is too refreshing, you should use sesame oil to pamper your skin and hair. It's the most nourishing and warming oil, and is recommended in winter in Ayurvedic medicine, to care for the skin and restore balance." Sesame oil fights free radicals, improves suppleness, and helps to regenerate the skin. It's one of the oils used in our multi-purpose oil, Addiction, which brings together 27 botanical oils. This is the perfect product for winter as it works to repair and soothe dry and sensitive skin, restoring radiance and comfort.
"As for food, keep your body warm with herbal teas, soups rich in vegetables, and homemade hot meals made with raw and natural ingredients. Carrot, squash, onion, sweet potato, pumpkin: all these vegetables are rich in micronutrients and are easy to cook in lots of different ways. Foods that are orange in color are good sources of Vitamin A, which is great for keeping your skin healthy and looking good in winter." L'Essence Botanique Éclat lets you enjoy the benefits of carrot used externally. Carrot is rich in beta-carotene, which helps to even out skin tone and restore radiance to dull complexions. In winter, when there's less sunshine, it helps to give a healthy glow, while also nourishing and protecting against environmental aggressors, such as the wind and cold. To help your skin fight winter damage, Claire also recommends using a moisturizer enriched with hyaluronic acid to keep your skin well-hydrated, as well as an oil to nourish if your skin is really dry.
Care for your skin...carefully
"Be as careful about what you put inside your body as you are about what you put on it... Your outside and inside are one." Claire recommends regularly using pure aloe vera gel. It soothes, heals and hydrates the skin. "In winter, it's one of the two serums in my routine: aloe vera to soothe, then a serum, such as a hyaluronic acid-based one, to optimize hydration." Claire also emphasizes the importance of trace element ampoules to treat certain skin problems. By dabbing zinc onto the skin with a cotton pad, for example, you can purify the skin by preventing the formation of bacteria and free radicals. This is something you could do in the morning, after applying toner and before applying your day cream, to tighten pores and neutralize shine. Our Le Booster Éclat is enriched with beech bud, raspberry seed and prickly pear, and also contains zinc. It works to smooth and brighten the skin, and preps it for makeup.
Finally, face masks are a must if you want to optimize your glow, especially during cold periods. "Masks are exactly what you need to pamper your skin. I regularly use moisturizing masks, sometimes applying them every evening for a few weeks, according to the condition of my skin and the temperature, etc. Applying a face mask once a week isn't often enough when you consider the skin's needs. If you really want your skin to glow, it's much better to pamper it more regularly. So, in the winter, or when your skin is particularly dry, once a day isn't excessive. Having said that, I don't (or rarely) sleep with a face mask on. I leave it on for anything from 15 minutes to 1 hour, depending on my schedule, needs and desires, then I remove it and finish with a moisturizing or anti-aging serum and/or cream. This deep-hydration program (i.e. using a mask every day) is the skincare step that has the greatest positive impact on my skin!" Le Masque Velours Repulpant, enriched with snow mushroom, alfalfa and aloe vera, hydrates and plumps the skin, and is perfect for replenishing lost moisture, especially in winter.
It's important that you care for your skin properly on a daily basis to keep it healthy and radiant all day long. Claire reveals the little, simple but effective steps she takes every day:
- "When you apply skincare products, gently press and pat them into your skin to optimize absorption. Don't use quick smoothing movements when applying a toner or cream. If you take the time to press products into your skin, it will soak up the active ingredients better."
- "Don't forget the neck and décolleté. Along with the face, these are the most sensitive areas, where the skin becomes weaker and ages the fastest."
- "Your hands are also very exposed. To protect them, make sure you moisturize them several times a day. You should also use sun protection on the back of your hands."
- "Never touch your face during the day unless your hands are perfectly clean. And especially not your spots! It will only make matters worse."
- "Never go to bed without removing all traces of the day from your skin: makeup, pollution, sweat, etc. This is the number one beauty rule if you want to keep your skin in good condition. Even if you come home at 3 o'clock in the morning, don't go to bed with a dirty face! Otherwise, impurities will build up and your skin will age prematurely!" To gently remove makeup and cleanse your face, while also helping to control blemishes and nourish dry skin, opt for Le Baume Céleste. Perfect after a long day, it removes all traces of makeup, pollution and environmental debris in a single step, so you can go to bed with perfectly clean skin.
GOOD MORNING BEAUTIFUL
This recipe brings together two powerful adaptogens to support hormonal and emotional balance, boost energy and combat stress. It's a beautiful way to start your day!
- 1 cup of oat milk
- 1 teaspoon of ashwagandha powder
- 1 teaspoon of maca powder
- ½ to 1 teaspoon of virgin coconut oil
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of coconut sugar or organic raw cane sugar
1) Mix all the ingredients together in a small saucepan and heat gently.
2) Beat vigorously with a hand or electric whisk until you obtain a smooth mixture.
3) Pour into a cup and sprinkle with cinnamon powder.
RAINBOW NORI WRAPS
For beautiful, smooth skin and extra-shiny hair, you need to stock up on marine minerals. Seaweeds are on the top of my list of ingredients to boost vitality and beauty, and are excellent for helping to keep your skin clear. If you're vegetarian, vegan, feeling devitalized or suffering from chronic fatigue, try fueling your body with these superfoods!
For 2 or 3 people:
- 6 organic nori sheets
- 1 large carrot
- 1 avocado
- ½ cucumber
- small amount of red cabbage
- 4 handfuls of spinach shoots or young rocket leaves
For the almond sauce:
3 dessertspoonfuls of finely chopped coriander
5 dessertspoonfuls of unsweetened almond cream
2 dessertspoonfuls of tamari
2 dessertspoonfuls of lime juice
1 dessertspoonful of cider vinegar
2 Medjool dates
1 small clove of garlic
1 dessertspoonful of finely grated ginger
Water to obtain the desired texture
1) Prepare the almond sauce in a small blender.
2) Rinse the vegetables and cut into thin slices.
3) Place the nori sheets on a chopping board, with the shiny side facing downward. Layer the ingredients over the nori sheet, starting with a fine layer of sauce if you wish, then adding the vegetables in quite thick layers.
4) Roll the sheet firmly around the vegetables, then seal it to itself by moistening the inside of the end, so it will stick easily to the wrap. You can eat the wrap as it is or cut it in half. Don't forget to dip it into the delicious sauce...
You'll find all Claire's tips and recipes for a perfect glow all year long – and even more – in her book, Révélez votre Glow, on her website: https://claireandreewitch.com/ and on her YouTube channel: Claire Andréewitch