Stress, pollution, UV rays, poor lifestyle habits, inappropriate skincare products... They can all cause the skin of your face to redden. If your skin's feeling sensitive or playing up, the most important thing to do is to give it plenty of soothing care! We give you some tips and advice to relieve redness and calm your skin.
Have you already experienced that sensation when you can feel the blood rise to your cheeks? Heat, cold, physical exertion, stress, embarrassment, alcoholic drinks, and even spicy foods can often trigger redness in the face. While this is something that may just happen occasionally, when it does, it's difficult to control. And it's a sign of over-sensitive blood vessels.
If your skin is often red, it's because it's sensitive. Everyday signs and symptoms of sensitive skin include feelings of discomfort or tightness, red patches, and increased reactivity. If this sounds familiar, then make sure you use skincare products rich in calming and soothing active ingredients that will restore comfort to your skin – and keep it comfortable!
There are different types of skin redness, from simply flushing to rosacea. The latter is a skin disorder that affects the blood vessels. Here's how to identify the different types:
- Flushing, or blushing, is an occasional redness that mostly occurs as a result of heat or stress.
- In the case of permanent redness on the cheeks, nose, and sometimes the forehead and chin, we talk about erythrosis.
- In rosacea, the symptoms are the same as those of erythrosis, but you'll also see small blood vessels near the surface of the skin.
- Finally, if you have small red spots, similar to acne, on the cheeks, nose, forehead and chin, this is called acne rosacea.
Skin redness can also be caused by allergic reactions to certain foods or cosmetic products, or be due to eczema or rashes. If the redness persists, you should seek advice from a dermatologist, who will be able to give a precise diagnosis.
If your skin seems to react to everything, it's time to give it a break and restore some calm! It takes just 15 days for La Cure Peau Calme to soothe and calm your skin. Rich in soothing active ingredients, it softens, relieves, and reduces inflammation and reactivity in sensitive and skin.
The secret behind this formula is a synergy of 12 botanical active ingredients, each one specially chosen for its ability to soothe reactive or rosacea-prone skin. These active ingredients include:
- Blond Psyllium, a plant with excellent softening and soothing properties. When applied to the skin, it forms a protective film, and has an analgesic and anti-inflammatory action. Blond Psyllium also contains acetonide and plantamajoside, known to reduce edema. Perfect for soothing the skin!
- Blue Daisy extract. Also known as "Alypon" (which means "soothes pain"), this flower is greatly used in Morocco for its soothing properties. Blue Daisy contains anti-irritant and anti-free radical agents, which work to reduce feelings of discomfort and make sensitive skin less reactive, while also helping to prevent the signs of aging.
- Poria Cocos. This fungus is frequently used in Far Eastern medicine for its powerful immunological, anti-tumoral and anti-inflammatory properties. Poria Cocos acts directly on the central nervous system to relieve anxiety and reduce tensions, so it's like an anti-stress shield for the skin.
In addition to these three active ingredients, La Cure Peau Calme contains soothing and anti-inflammatory plant extracts, including Lemon Balm and Linden hydrosols, Reed and Aloe Vera extracts, and essential oils of Italian Helichrysum, Cardamom and Fine Lavender. La Cure Peau Calme is the perfect anti-redness treatment for anyone whose skin is prone to rosacea, acne, eczema, rashes, or even sunburn!
La Cure Peau Calme is a short-term soothing treatment. If you're suffering from skin redness, you also need to rethink your beauty routine and focus on soothing and calming benefits.
Sensitive and reactive skin types need lots of gentle care. So, when it comes to cleansing the skin and removing makeup, it's best to use "oily" formulas, such as oils, gel and creams rich in softening ingredients. In the evening, when you apply your makeup remover and cleanser, gently massage your skin with circular movements, making sure you don't rub too hard. Rinse with either lukewarm or cold water. You should avoid hot water at all costs if your skin is sensitive!
To rid your skin of any lingering impurities, it's best to avoid both chemical and mechanical exfoliants. Opt for a Konjac sponge instead! This little sponge is ideal for exfoliating the skin very gently, and can be used with water alone. If you want a deeper purifying action, use it with Le Nettoyant Pureté.
After cleansing, use a gentle toner to soothe your skin and counteract the drying effect of hard water. By completing your cleansing routine with a mild, alcohol-free toner, you'll deliver kind, caring ingredients to your skin, while also prepping it for further skincare products. There are lots of different toners, so choose one that works for you. We recommend a floral water, such as Chamomile or Linden hydrosols, both of which have soothing properties. Alternatively, you could use La Brume Systémique – a certified-organic, bi-phase mist that soothes your skin while also refreshing, revitalizing and nourishing.
Another way to support your sensitive or reactive skin is to use a highly hydrating and protective cream such as La Crème du Jour, combined with a calming and protective serum like Le Booster PROTECTION. Apply the two products in the morning, and together, they'll make sure your skin is ready to take on the day! In the evening, opt for a more complete skincare routine. In place of your usual nighttime moisturizer, try La Crème du Soir mixed with a few drops of our Addiction oil. This caring combination will work to comfort and repair your skin all night long.
To complete your soothing, anti-redness skincare routine, take a look at all our products that suit sensitive skin!