Gel, oil, balm… What kind of facial cleanser is best?
Cleansing is the first step in your beauty routine – and a very important step too! When you cleanse your skin, you don't just remove all those impurities that have built up during the day, you also prep your skin for the products applied afterwards, making it more receptive to the active ingredients they contain. Cleansers come in lots of different textures: water, gel, cream, oil, balm, etc. Absolution has a wide choice of facial cleansers, so you're sure to find one that meets your skin's needs.
What's the best product to cleanse your face?
The best cleanser for your face is one that suits your skin type. Oily, combination, dry, fragile, blemish-prone… Everyone's skin is different, so everyone's skin has different needs. At Absolution, we have a wide range of facial cleansers, so whatever your skin type, you'll find the ideal cleansing solution!
- L’Eau Soir et Matin. Designed for all skin moods, this cleansing water should be applied with a cotton pad – but please use a reusable, washable one! In just a few seconds, it removes makeup, purifies, and tones your skin.
- Le Nettoyant Pureté. Formulated without soap or irritating surfactants, this cleansing gel is suitable for all skin types, and especially combination, oily and blemish-prone skin.
- Le Baume Céleste. This oil-in-gel makeup remover is particularly recommended for dry or sensitive skin types, as well as irritated and blemish-prone skin. On contact with the skin, it transforms into a milky lotion that gently removes even the toughest makeup. Any impurities that have built up over the day are rinsed away, leaving nothing behind but super-clean, super-soft skin.
- La Crème Douce Démaquillante. Dry and mature skin types love this cream cleanser, although it works with all skin moods. Both gentle and effective, it reveals an exquisite neroli scent, for a moment of soothing softness every time you cleanse.
What kind of cleanser is best for men? Men's skin is thicker and oilier than women's skin, but that doesn't mean you can't use the same products on it! Again, it's important to listen to the skin and understand its needs, so you can choose the most suitable cleanser from our unisex skincare range.
What about using a soap to cleanse the face?
Soap bars are making a comeback! For a long time, people have tended to prefer using gels to cleanse their face, but now the humble bar of soap is gaining popularity. Our two soap bars are made with over 99% natural ingredients, and both are included in our facial cleansing range.
- Le Savon Noir. Our black soap is very different from the traditional black soap used in many spas, and made with purifying and soothing ingredients that work together to gently cleanse the face. Enriched with Propolis extract, Activated Charcoal and Tea Tree essential oil, Le Savon Noir works to restore balance to oily and blemish-prone skin.
- Le Savon Blanc. Our white soap, meanwhile, contains natural extracts of Calendula, Coconut, Shea and Rice Bran, and is perfect for cleansing sensitive and reactive skin, while giving it a little TLC.
How should you choose a facial cleansing gel?
One of the most popular types of facial cleanser is the cleansing gel. Gels are easy and pleasant to use, and there are lots of different formulas on the market.
There are two criteria you must take into account when choosing a cleansing gel: your skin type and the action you're looking for (purifying, soothing, repairing, etc.). Absolution's Le Nettoyant Pureté is a cleansing gel that all skin types can use! This multi-talented formula removes not only makeup, but also all the traces of pollution that build up on your skin during the day. It has a regulating action too, so it helps to gently rebalance the skin.
Why use a facial cleanser?
Every day, the skin of your face is exposed to environmental aggressors and impurities. In parallel, your skin is constantly renewing itself, and this causes dead cells to build up on its surface. These factors explain why your skin needs a little help if you want to keep it radiant.
By cleansing your face every day, you give your skin a clean slate and reduce the risk of infections that could cause spots to appear, for example. Water can be used to remove superficial residue clogging pores, but it won't cleanse your skin deep down. This is why it's always recommended that you use a cleanser that matches your skin type.
When should you cleanse your face?
While it's important to wash your face every day, it's not a good idea to wash it too often, or you could end up drying out your skin.
At Absolution, we recommend that you only clean your skin once a day – in the evening. Why? Simply because all those impurities that you want to get rid of inevitably build up on your skin in the daytime. Fine particles, pollution, makeup, sweat, dead cells, etc., should all be swept away before you go to bed.
When you wake up in the morning, your skin isn't dirty! If you cleanse your skin twice a day, you could also destabilize its hydrolipidic film, which acts as a natural protective barrier and holds in moisture. When the skin is weakened, its resistance to environmental aggressors is also weakened, so it could become even more damaged.
This vicious circle must be avoided at all costs! The only exception to the morning/evening cleansing rule applies when you use a night cream that contains retinol or AHAs. In this case, do cleanse your skin in the morning, as these ingredients make your skin more prone to sun damage.
Should you wash your face in the morning?
As we've already mentioned, it's best to deeply cleanse your face in the evening before applying your night cream, face mask or pro-aging cream. But that doesn't mean you can't refresh your skin when you wake up! Just splash your face with some cold water to brighten your skin.
We recommend that you avoid rinsing your face in the shower, as the temperature of the water is usually too high, and this can weaken your skin's hydrolipidic film. If your tap water is quite hard, use a hydrosol or alcohol-free toner instead. This will give your skin a boost and a burst of vitality.
How should you cleanse your skin every day?
Whatever your skin mood, your face needs to be carefully cleansed every day so you can remove impurities and traces of makeup. At Absolution, you'll find all the products you need to cleanse, purify, nourish and tone your skin. Plus, in addition to protecting the integrity of your skin, they have a minimal impact on the environment. After a long day, make sure you cleanse your skin the right way. We tell you how…
- Remove makeup thoroughly. Your skin needs to breathe, so never skip makeup removal! Choose from a cream, water, or oil-in-gel with La Crème Douce Démaquillante,L’Eau Soir et Matin or Le Baume Céleste. You're bound to find one your skin loves!
- Deeply cleanse. Even if you manage to remove every last trace of makeup, there will still be some remaining impurities lingering on your skin. If you want to get your skin's glow back, it's essential that you cleanse it deeply with a product that meets your skin's specific needs. For example, if your skin is sensitive, it's best to use a light, gentle cleanser. On the other hand, if your skin is prone to blemishes, you should look for a more targeted formula with more specific active ingredients. Our Le Nettoyant Pureté is free of irritating surfactants, and has the advantage of being suitable for all skin types.
What about using a cleansing sponge?
Cleansing sponges and brushes can be great for cleansing your skin deep down. Our Konjac Sponge can be used on all skin types, and helps to stimulate blood flow and brighten the complexion. It also helps to soften and smooth the skin. Use it with water or Le Nettoyant Pureté and massage it over your face. It's as simple as that!